Are you sick of hearing about kale’s health benefits? I hope not, cause kale is king, and if you can wrap your head around eating what used to be a simple garnish, you won’t be disappointed.
Of the leafy greens, kale has the most antioxidants and has a ton of flavonoids, which are strong anti-inflammatories. Kale also has more calcium than milk, more iron than beef and more vitamin C than oranges! Its nutrient profile may help prevent cancer and help those with diabetes.
There are so many ways to incorporate this superfood into your weekly menu, but here’s a simple and tasty contribution you can bring to any potluck or BBQ this summer.
- Start with any of the following greens in combination or by themselves: Kale (of course!), Chard, Spinach, Parsley and/or Cabbage.
- The trick here is to take your time and chop until very fine (or use a food processor!).
- Finely chop and measure 2-6 cups, figuring ½-1 cup per person. I always make more since it keeps great for a few days even after dressed.
- Add: 2-4 grated carrots.
- Choose any from the following nuts and fruits:
- ½ cup chopped Pecans, Walnuts and/or Almonds
- ½ cup chopped Raisins, Cranberries, Apricot, Currants and/or Dried Cherries
- Mix all ingredients well.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 TBvinegar, I use rice wine, but play around to find your favorite.
- 2 TB orange juice or 1 tsp of honey for a bit of sweetness.
- 2 TB Umeboshi plum paste (optional, but tasty!)
Shake well and pour some over all combined ingredients and mix well. Add more dressing until you get to the taste you like.
To your current and future health,
- Dr. Michelle
Sign up for my FREE six-week email series entitled Get Answers. Be Empowered. Live Vibrantly!